Meg Whitman has set a new record, having now spent more of her own money on her gubernatorial campaign than any politician has spent in US history, according to abc7.
It was a $15 million check Whitman wrote to herself this week that broke the record, previously held by "fellow billionaire New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who spent $109 million in his bid for a third term last year." Whitman has now poured $119 million of her own money in the hopes of becoming California's next Republican governor.
This past weekend on "Meet the Press," Whitman's chief strategist Mike Murphy defended the candidate's spending, claiming that it was necessary in order to combat the voices of the state's public employee unions. Much of Whitman's money has gone to buy advertising time to point out Democratic rival Jerry Brown's flaws.
Do you think there should be a spending cap for elected officials?
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades